Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It feels good to get thoughts and feelings down on paper, digitally of course.

(the red is not part of the original post but is to clarify certain things for anyone from outside of the church community who may view this. Which isn't very likely because this blog has no traffic)

Hi,

I have some questions about homosexuality and the church, I have spent a lot of time meditating on them and wish to see what answers christian people have for them.

Let me start off with, of course, by stating that the Bible is very clear on homosexuality. We all know what it says. Which is fine, because God makes the rules, not us. I also want to put out there that these are presented from a point of view that homosexuality is a biological condition (I don't mean condition in a bad way), and not a conscious choice.

Here are my questions:

Let's start with marriage, even though it is becoming legal despite anything else.

Is it our place to be making those crucial life decisions for someone else? Should it be left between the individual and God and out of the hands of strangers? Are we over-stepping a right to free will which was given to us by God himself by disallowing homosexual marriage? Their union would not have to affect you or your family after all, unlike murder, in which case that should be illegal.

Even if that's true, another fear to consider is if this would open the door to other areas like bigamists and familial members to have their wishes fulfilled through a legal marriage. Or would we stop at homosexuals? Is there any way to know the answer to that? I can live in a wold of in which exists same sex marriage but when it starts being OK for my blood related uncle or a man with 3 other wives to start hitting on me... I don't think I can swallow that one.

I have also been told, obviously, that the legalization of homosexual marriage would ruin the sanctity of marriage. I question this because to me that's a little bit like saying the invention of the grapple (grape apple hybrid thing) or whatever fruit they've mutated together ruins all the true grapes and apples out there. However despite having grapples, if you bite into an apple you still have an apple, unchanged by the mere existence of an unnatural version. It doesn't seem to me that the existence of two men considered married by the state would have to also ruin a man and a women's union through the church and considered married by God. I think God has a little bit more authority than any state to say who's marriage is a marriage.

The answers to some of these questions I have, I believe, aren't as important than this one:

I know a lesbian, and one night she came to me in tears saying that she had been kicked out of at least 6 different churches just for being gay. She didn't go in advocating anything, or holding hands with another girl, she just wanted to come to mass like everyone else.

Instead, she got told she was a sinner, unclean, going to hell, and any and all sort of terrible thing you can imagine.

Something doesn't seem right about that... christian people seem to have a lot of hatred for homosexuals and I don't understand why. Aren't we suppose to NOT have hatred in  our hearts? Isn't that one of the main points of the religion? Is my friend not a child of God?

Why do christian people appear to be so hateful? No wonder the world doesn't respect us, and unless I find that that is not true for a large portion of the community I will lose respect for it as well, because judgment and hate are not suppose to be present in our christian lives.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my ideas/questions. I'd like to stay with these and not stray away in other areas, I can see some other things these bring up that can become another post.

Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment